Friday, January 9, 2009

The Endless Wait

Yesterday, I spent my morning at volunteer orientation at a nearby hospital. For the past year I have been on the waiting list to get into nursing school. Here in Maricopa County the wait is currently 4-5 semesters long. Patience may be a virtue, but unfortunately it is not one I seem to possess. So, I have been exploring some other options including one offered through Banner, the Banner Fellows program. Seeing as the Banner Fellows program is extremely competitive I am trying to remain open minded and take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way.
First off, I am attempting to be more proactive by taking classes that will enable me to receive my bachelors degree after I obtain my RN, this semester those classes are World Religions and Statistics. Also, I am actively searching for a job in a hospital or health care setting. Now as for the volunteer route, it was one I had considered in the past, but more along the lines of helping out at a local food bank or providing meals at a local Ronald McDonald house. I adjusted my thinking in early December. I was in a car accident and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. The volunteers there entertained and cared for my girls until my husband was able to join us. About a week later I had an interview with the volunteer coordinator at the same hospital, hence my present volunteer gig. Several assignment options were offered to me at the hospital including couplet care, pharmacy, and ER. Though I was leaning towards the pharmacy, in the end I chose ER as it allowed more flexibility with my schedule.
Today, I head back for a 2nd TB test. Next week training begins and I can't wait to get started. In the meantime, I will try to rein in my impatience and keep focused on enjoying what lies ahead.

1 comment:

Jon and Jenetta said...

It's cool that you are moving forward in this. I think the volunteer ER exposure for you will be really good - perhaps even path-confirming for you... Good luck!