Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Quiet Moments

It's late and I'm curled up in my office chair with a blanket, cup of tea in hand. Strains of Eluvium trickle soothingly from my speakers. Except for the occasional whirr of the washing machine the house is unnaturally calm. I get so used to the riotous cacophony of sound that pours forth from my children, surrounding my every waking moment,that the quiet seems almost uncomfortable. The truth is that though I feel bone numbingly exhausted, my brain is still going a million miles a minute. I want nothing more than to fall into bed sinking into a dreamless, satisfying sleep.
Today was one of those days when I hardly had time to catch my breath. I spent a good part of the day arranging and rearranging the rehearsal schedule for the children's play. Cast and crew lists were printed, folders with information and scripts assembled, and thoughts organized for the read through and parents meeting. In between all of that I refereed several battles between my girls, ran kids to and from two different schools, and took one of our vehicles in for emissions testing. After a quick bite, I dashed out, kids in tow to rehearsal. Then it was back home for baths, books, and bedtime. Tomorrow will be even more chaotic than today. I need to take advantage of these fleeting moments of quiet to catch up. Instead I will let the music lull me into a relaxed state and drift off to bed.

No comments: