Friday, January 30, 2009

ER, no not the series

This week has been a blur of events, rehearsals, dinners out, lunch on the run, you get the picture. Besides being my first full week back to work, I also spent Thursday evening working a shift at a local hospital in the ER. Now, let me preface this by saying I have absolutely no intention of ever becoming an ER or trauma nurse. It sets my nerves on edge, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, my head starts to pound the moment I hear the alarm go off that an ambulance is coming. My first night the ER was swamped with firefighters bringing in patients, nurses and doctors running in and out of rooms, codes being called over the loudspeaker, people waiting in the hallways. It was overwhelming, scary even, and I seriously considered not going back. This week was much calmer though. I could see how the ER works, talk to some of the nurses, really get a good picture of my duties there. I actually enjoyed talking to patients, changing beds, cleaning, delivering trays. I'm getting a real taste of how a hospital functions, the teamwork of the techs, nurses, and doctors. Let's face it I am a glorified candy striper in an unflattering outfit and I love it. So, once a week from here on out you will find my facing my fears head on and tackling the challenges of the ER.

No comments: